Thursday, September 15, 2005

stagefright

i've started to get nervous. i'm driving down to durham tomorrow morning with a stranger (not totally a stranger; we've swapped back and forth some very funny emails) to sing fog argument, the song set that george wrote me for me last year and then graciously edited for me when i stopped trying to sing so high.

i haven't sung in public, really, outside of a churchy situation, since i did that early opera (in drag) last fall. since then it's been a lot of singing to the lord and singing to the walls of my apartment. before terry left, my audience also included a roommate who would laugh at my rehearsal method (it does sound quite funny). but lately the only people who have heard me sing, except for one lesson with steve in the last six months, are people who walk by my first-floor apartment. or people who live in my apartment building. i imagine that people are walking by, thinking, "wow. that guy's really going after it!" i've yet to be harrassed by drunken yacht club patrons, but since i live next door to the bar it's inevitiable.

so tomorrow night marks my reentry into the world of public performance. i'm trying to focus more on the little things--getting there, rehearsing, which dress shirt i'm going to wear--than the performance itself. otherwise i'll get nervous. ok so i'm nervous.

1 Comments:

At September 15, 2005 7:22 PM, Blogger Contrabaixista said...

You'll be fine. And if not, blame it on the composer!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home