Tuesday, December 27, 2005

only in oklahoma

words can't really convey what a different world oklahoma is from baltimore. or the midwest, for that matter. the longer i live away from home, the stranger things about oklahoma seem to me: the way that girls all start wearing the same miss america makeup at age 16 and keep doing it until their 50s; the way that christianity is absolutely ubiquitous, unqestioned.

i just have to share one only-in-oklahoma experience from christmas with my grandparents:

-the doorbell rings-
me: who's that?
robin: jackie.
me: who's jackie?
robin: you know, jackie, that black lady who works at the club. -dubious look- she's come to serve dinner.
me: WHAT?

that's right, dear readers, apparently the concept of colored help is alive and well in oklahoma. as if it wasn't enough that i grew up amidst expensive houses and country clubs, i actually sat at my grandparents' dining room table while a nice black lady walked around and picked up plates and refilled water glasses. and the entire time i'm sitting there thinking, what's funny is that i'm usually on the other side of the coin here. i'm usually the help.

really i'm making it sound worse than it was. my grandparents are 85 and 90 years old, bless their hearts, and it's not like they're whizzes in the kitchen anymore; and they know they can't expect the punkass younger generation to clean the dishes....

4 Comments:

At December 28, 2005 12:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Pardon me, I would like to disassociate myself from the entire "gone with the wind" revival that was Monday night's dinner....

 
At December 28, 2005 9:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why doesnt my name appear in this blog at least once! I hate you Robetr Maril, I hate you!!!

Dennis

 
At December 29, 2005 7:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did she do a little soft shoe after dinner? wtf!? i can't even imagine how awkward that has to be. please tell me that the woman was at least 20 years younger than your grandparents. also, if you gps need colored help next year, look me up...

 
At December 29, 2005 11:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yesaa mr. massa sur.. yesaa

 

Post a Comment

<< Home