Tuesday, March 14, 2006

the day of the show, y'all, part the third

tonight's the big night, the night i've been preparing for for the last, um, well three weeks. okay so maybe four. however long it's been, this recital hasn't been programmed for very long. granted, i've been practicing a lot. and i even thought about bringing the music with me to the hospital, though i didn't. (side story: when our choir director saw hilary the day i went into the hospital, he gave her music to give to me. she was like, "um, he's in the HOSPITAL. i think he has a few things to worry about besides evensong." i got to church on sunday morning, the morning after i'd been discharged, and he was like, "did hilary give you the music?" i'm sorry, i was busy having my gut shut down on me; i somehow didn't have the energy to learn a lot of plainsong.)

anyway, tonight's the whitman recital. george, mike trinastic (boombastic say me fantastic), and i had our first--and last--rehearsal last night, and i have to say that things went well. what's funny is that i picked these weill/whitman songs without ever hearing them. i played the accompaniment on the piano then learned the voice parts separately. when played apart from each other, they just sound like random early 20th century art songs. when they're played at the same time, the songs become this totally FUCKED UP, schmaltzy, cabaret-style...you get the picture. if nothing else, it's an interesting recital. "interesting," even. i told george and mike that it's like a tour of all things 20th-century song: 40's, 70's, 2000's.

i'm excited for the recital, but also, let's say, pensive. it just seems like everything's coming at me like a ton of bricks--albeit a ton of really exciting bricks. george and mike are here, amanda's here, the recital will happen, then i start getting ready to move. work has become almost parenthetical (if any of my coworkers, ahem, steph, are reading this--don't tell the doctors!) as i search for a new job and try to get everything done here and my replacement trained. so i didn't sleep a lot last night, both from excitement and...well, i guess just excitement. but i brought a banana to work with me and am sucking down some decaf.

you know, power foods.

oh yeah, the recitial is:

tonight at 7:30
peabody conservatory room 308C

4 Comments:

At March 14, 2006 9:54 AM, Blogger missnakia said...

Robert,

I will be there. I might be a little late because I have a coaching. But I will be there. I am glad you are feeling better. I was very worried about you.

 
At March 14, 2006 9:55 AM, Blogger Robert said...

yay! thanks, babe.

 
At March 14, 2006 9:58 AM, Blogger Ratface said...

i thought it said "and i brought a bandana to work"...you know, to wear like a bank robber during the show.

 
At March 14, 2006 10:52 AM, Blogger George Lam said...

oooh - i read "i brought a banana to work with me and am sucking down..." and then i stopped reading.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home