Monday, February 28, 2005

strange

strange the things that change when a relationship ends. not a jack mcfarland 3-hour relationship, but an extended one. the kind that involves a lease with both your names on it.

some things are the same--the same monday night TV, the dinner together you bought at the same store as always. because so little has changed, you notice the differences: he talks on the phone with a door between you; he closes the bathroom door when he showers.

i'd like to say that our silence is laden with subtext, but it seems to only be silence.

3 Comments:

At February 28, 2005 8:24 PM, Blogger German said...

you are breaking my heart. very eloquently, but very sadly. if nothing else, pain is good for your art. but...geez. i hope he reads what you write.

 
At February 28, 2005 9:50 PM, Blogger Robert said...

if i can't be eloquent at a time like this, when could i be? the only saving grace of this nightmare would be something creative coming out of it.

 
At March 04, 2005 10:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know, my best friend really shocked me one day during a conversation we had a few months after a breakup I had several years ago. She just looked at me and said matter-of-factly, "You don't hum anymore." I said, "What? I hum?" And she said to me, "Yes. All the time. At least you used to." That's when I realized the depth of the emotions I was feeling and the extent to which my life had been de-railed. There were days when I never knew if I would find my way out of it or not, but sure enough, one morning I woke up, and without warning, I felt like humming again...and it was the best I'd felt in a long time.

It might take a while, honey, but you'll get your hum back...

In the mean time, if you ever need to get away, Princeton isn't too far away from Baltimore.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home