Tuesday, June 07, 2005

in passing

i was just up at the gym signing out for cardio equipment (if i just tried to show up at 4:30, nothing would happen except maybe all of the sweating, skinny girls on the ellipticals would turn their heads, look at me, and laugh) and the nice girl at the front desk asked, "what time are you working out today?" "4:30," i told her. "aww, i'm going to miss you then." i feigned sadness, pouting. then she said, "no, i mean i'm leaving. i won't see you again. i just quit my job and i'm moving to sydney."

it was weird to think about. this girl's my favorite gym employee but we don't have any kind of relationship, other than making funny small talk between sets. it's weird to me, though, that i'll never see her again, just like that. i've run across all kinds of people in my life like this--in passing. some of them were acquaintances that, as they walked away from me, i thought thank god i'll never have to see him again. others, like this girl at the gym whose name i don't even know, will be missed, if only for a couple of weeks, until the next cute, blonde, and friendly gym employee has taken her place.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home