Tuesday, July 26, 2005

gettin' church

there are certain bands/singers that, when i listen to them, i can't help but shake my booty. i don't even have a booty, really, so that means it's really rockin' music. it happens a lot of the time, this active body-response. i don't mean like, you hear gwen stefani on the radio in your car and you're tapping your fingers on the steering wheel, oh no. i mean all-out stomping.

the two worst culprits for me are the gossip and aretha franklin. if you've never heard the gossip, do yourself a favor and go buy thats not what i heard. you'll understand what i mean. they make my booty shake.

much more dangerous, though, is my response to aretha: it doesn't matter what she's singing, she always inspires me to do a drag-style lipsynch of every word she sings. i'm talking pained-face-chest-beating-bent-over-all-out lipsynching. ask any roommate i've ever had and they'll tell you: my lip-synching skillz are sick. luckily i was able to restrain myself on the shuttle this morning. don't get me wrong, i was listening to aretha and getting church. except for a few sunday-morning headshakes (you know--"preach it, brother. preach it!"), though, i didn't let myself get too involved.

hilary and i talk about the fact that when we're walking along, listening to our ipods, we like to pretend that the music is the soundtrack to our lives. which it is, in a way. it's just that no one else can hear it.

3 Comments:

At July 26, 2005 9:03 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

you better SAAAANNGGGG!

 
At July 26, 2005 7:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh but don't get me started... about how yeah ipod playlists are to our own choosing, but we're still given a structure of artists and defined genres from media-glomerates. it's not about finding the music of our lives, it's about finding the music available to our lives. (media industries, that is; not simply ipods.)

god, i sound globally cranky. but yes, you better do right woman do right man.

downy is the fabric of my life.

 
At July 26, 2005 7:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

given a structure... from which to choose

is what i meant to say

 

Post a Comment

<< Home