Wednesday, August 17, 2005

INK

well, i've done it. after threatening to since i was 17 years old, i've gotten tattoos. no, i'm not kidding. i actually did it. i went to the tattoo parlor (well, it was actually the baltimore tattoo museum), laid down on the pleather couch, and breathed deeply, trying to remain calm while an electric torture device, also known as a tattoo needle, imbedded ink that will rot with my corpse.

ok, so that's too dramatic. it was actually a really fun experience. michael and i met for burritos in fell's point right after work then went to the tattoo museum. josh, the guy that did michael's "synchronicity" tattoo, was already waiting for me when i got there and showed me the design he'd come up with, based on what i'd brought him last week. i was really pleased with what he came up with--the size was perfect, the design was cool and stylized.

since i had to go in last week and make an appointment, i'd had plenty of time to mull over what i was doing. did i really want to put something on my body that's going to be there the rest of my life? it was kind of like the 7-day waiting period for buying a handgun. i also got most of the nerves out of my system before i went in; by the time i actually got to the tattoo parlor i just wanted to get it over with already.

i can honestly say that the pain wasn't nearly as bad as i'd imagined. don't get me wrong, there were bits of it that made me completely hate life and wonder what the fuck i was doing to myself...but for the most part it was fine.

what did i get, you ask? a yardstick. (that's a lie--as soon as they're healed i'll take some pics and post them.)

7 Comments:

At August 17, 2005 12:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats on your first tattoo! if you're like me it will be the first of many! i can't wait to see it!

 
At August 17, 2005 4:45 PM, Blogger Michael G Bare said...

dont lie...it hurt and you cried! OK, I'm lying, you were fine, but it made me want more ink, NOW!

 
At August 17, 2005 8:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

speaking of liz phair, i heard her new cd and it rocks!

 
At August 18, 2005 8:51 AM, Blogger Robert said...

HOW!? SEND ME A COPY. NOW.

 
At August 18, 2005 9:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

turns out, my friend tyler (from high school) manages her and speaks to her on a regular basis. she gave him a copy. i'll see if i can weasel a copy from him. if not, i'll make him introduce me to her and then i'll steal it when she's not looking.

 
At August 18, 2005 11:06 AM, Blogger Robert said...

good. make it happen. and when you meet her, tell her that if she ever turns into avril lavigne again we're going to have words.

 
At August 18, 2005 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Robert

I hope the tatoo artist spelled my name right.

r.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home