Tuesday, January 10, 2006

a shocking confession

dearest readers, i have a confession to make. you might be shocked and even a little disgusted. you might say, "but robert! we thought you were stronger than this, that you'd never give into this kind of temptation." and i thought so, too, dearest readers. but i'm hopelessly, shamefully addicted to kelly clarkson's breakaway. i know. i said the same thing. ew, american idol. ew, kelly clarkson.

but after hearing this weekend that my latest guilty pleasure is "since 'u' been gone," (there's really nothing quite like being on the dancefloor of a gay club when this little pop gem comes on, unless it's dancing to the new madonna single when i move to new york. i think that'll probably trump it, but i haven't moved yet, so kelly wins.) phong played me the whole cd in his car. then he burned me the cd and i've been listening to it pretty much non-stop since then. since every song from this album has been a top-ten single, kelly seems to have been gnawing away at my subconscious for the last year, quietly breaking down my defenses, eating at my brain quicker than the syphillis that might or might not have killed e.a. poe. now i'm nothing but a drooling pile of quivering pop jelly, mouthing "i hate myself for losing you" while considering auditioning for american idol.

i mean, c'mon. lyrics like "what do you do when you look in the mirror and staring at you is why he's not here" don't come along every day. this texas girl's album has been in the billboard top twenty non-stop for the last year. just give in. you know you want a hit of clarkson.

in other funny music news, i was hanging out with phong this weekend and a song came on his itunes that neither of us could recognize. what we both thought was some random black lady singer turned out to be jesse mccartney. ha.

10 Comments:

At January 10, 2006 9:35 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

OK, I'll give you Kelly. She is a pop princess. That does not, however, mean I can listen to that album.

I link this to my embarassing liking of Neil Young. I remember seeing Mr. Young in concert when I was like 16 at some all-day concert. He only played 3 songs, and was on stage for 1.5 hours. Yeah. I hate jam bands. But for some reason, I've really taken a liking to him as of late. There. My shame is revealed.

 
At January 10, 2006 9:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like mr. young as well, but more so when he's with his friends crosby, stills, and nash. they're a hoot when they're together.

 
At January 10, 2006 10:08 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh My GOD!!! I looove Kelly Clarkson. Best Blog EVER!!!
DM

 
At January 10, 2006 10:16 AM, Blogger Hilary said...

Oh Terry...you classic rocker, you.

 
At January 10, 2006 11:01 AM, Blogger George Lam said...

who's neil young?

god i wish they teach us this stuff in naturalization class.

 
At January 10, 2006 12:02 PM, Blogger Robert said...

that was a very engrish-y comment, george!

 
At January 10, 2006 1:20 PM, Blogger frangoangolana said...

dear Robert, I also listen to that music, but don't feel bad. if you go to www.pitchforkmedia.com a trendy music site were they review indie music and arty stuff, they also submited to the pleasure and in a list of the best 50 singles of 2005 they listed that song in third, in the midle of other great non pop songs. Yes music critics also like this song.

 
At January 10, 2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Robert said...

haha thanks bruno

 
At January 11, 2006 3:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too, have a dirty little pop secret. I have downloaded onto my iPod, Natasha Bedingfield's hit single "These Words (I Love you, I Love you)". Yes, I think there are actual parentheses in the song title. Anyways, I jam to it all the way to class everyday. Guilty pleasure.
Maybe I'll have to hop on the Clarkson bandwagon as well...

 
At January 12, 2006 9:54 PM, Blogger Clairee said...

Finally - you have given in! Mwa ha ha!!! Pretty soon you will be listening to my Hilary Duff and Natsha Bedingfield singles...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home