Thursday, April 06, 2006

me and the senior vp of sales. we're like THIS.

it's been another completely insane day in new york. i suppose i don't really need to keep saying, "wow, now that was a work day!" or "what a crazy day!" after all, friends, it's new york city. jesus christ. as i told hilary two days ago, after insisting we give each other really corny mary tyler moore-style friendhugs, "we're really doing it!" and it's true. we really are.

i went to an interview this morning with a woman that my temp agent from yesterday set me up with. i knew going into it that it was in the brand-new, sparkly time-warner building in columbus circle. you know, the one that has the ridiculous mall in it. the one where ellen degeneres taped her show that one time. that one. so i go to the time-warner building for a meeting with a woman who's "probably going to like me and hire me right there on the spot." what i didn't know was that this woman was the senior vp of sales for her company, a real estate conglomerate that built the time-warner building in columbus circle. so here i am, robert from ponca city, in my lil' gray suit that mom bought me my junior year in college for my junior recital, meeting with a senior vp at this company. and she sent me, after thirty minutes, to another office on the upper east side, an office at which i'll apparently be temping until i can find something that will pay my health insurance.

what totally rocks is that, though it's temping, it's in an office with only three other people, one of whom is a working actress. get this. after she found out i went to depauw, she goes, "i know someone from depauw. her name's andrea skafish." me: slack-jawed disbelief. "you know andrea?" "um, yeah. she's my boyfriend's roommate." WHAT!? yep. emily's best friend andrea, the girl i met my sophomore year, the girl i did multiple hysterical musical theater scenes with, is the roommate of my new cool coworker's boyfriend. what's that you say? small world? yes, it is.

i'd like to say that the apartment's "really coming together," that it's "getting better each day" and that "my stuff's getting put away rapidly," but all of those things would be a lie. since i started working so quickly after getting here (not that i'm complaining, because it's a wonderful sugar-coated miracle that i got good temp work this fast), i haven't had a moment to unpack into the absurdly huge 2001-a-space-odyssey-looking wardrobe we put together two nights ago. i did, however, join a gym tonight and then work out. and, since we live in greektown, i was drooling all over a few of the men there. ok, so maybe not literally drooling all over because i didn't want to get my ass kicked. but i was definitely imagining what it would be like to...never mind. this is a family friendly blog.

5 Comments:

At April 06, 2006 11:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy crap! That is so crazy. Is it Barry's girlfriend? By the way, RUN don't walk to the Greek bakery near the 30th street stop and get some pastries...they are to die for! Just beware of the girl working there who has a hairy mole on her face.

 
At April 07, 2006 10:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my GOD!!! Andrea Skafish and I went to high school together!! We were in like 4 performances together. She was the choreographer and lead of every high school musical! That is crazy. Oh my GOD. If you see Andrea, tell her I say hello!

Dennis

 
At April 07, 2006 10:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

did i mention i fucking hate you?

 
At April 07, 2006 11:32 AM, Blogger Ratface said...

i see yinz got internet

 
At April 07, 2006 2:54 PM, Blogger Richard said...

I am glad that you are having fun and keeping a positive outlook. Have a Corona for me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home