Tuesday, April 18, 2006

fetch

last night i became one of those people: those people who have groceries delivered to them instead of going to buy them. i felt very posh, i have to admit, as i said, "thank you; those can go in the kitchen." i then took a long swig from my martini (dirty, with just a whisper of vermooth) and pulled my silk negligee a little tighter, as it had fallen off my shoulder. oh wait, that didn't happen. i don't wear womens' undergarments. nor do we have any vodka in the house, because, obviously, it would've been drunk already.

the fact is that i went ahead and used freshdirect for my groceries this week because, after two weeks of grocery shopping at "c-town" and "that korean greengrocer ten minutes from my house" and not being especially pleased with either the quality or the prices of my groceries, i thought it was time to try something else. i was having coffee with ben and two of his friends, one of whom recommended freshdirect to me. i laughed and told him something like "i'm not made of money" or "money doesn't grow on trees." some money saying. then he told me that actually the prices aren't bad--and often they're cheaper than the grocery store.

now, this "c-town" place is pretty awful--not like shopping in bosnia awful, but not like the canton safeway, either. it was about the size of eddie's (for those of you who live in baltimore) but was somehow more cramped. and the prices, though not ridiculous, certainly weren't a bargain. this is, after all, new york city. so i went to the freshdirect website at like 12 midnight on friday. how pathetic is it that i was comparison grocery shopping late on a friday night? very, but that's beside the point. the point is that freshdirect was, in fact, the same or cheaper. so i took a chance. and it worked. my groceries were delivered last night, intact, and yummy-looking. yes, i just said yummy.

i keep thinking of that episode of sex and the city where the 'girls' talk about the fact that in manhattan you can get anything you want delivered in less than an hour. that if you can pay for it, you can have someone do anything for you that you're too lazy to do: hang your pictures, move your office, clean your bathroom, buy your groceries, bring you dvd's. eventually i'll just be attila the hun, fartily sitting around my apartment while dinner and entertainment's brought to my door.

6 Comments:

At April 18, 2006 10:15 AM, Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress said...

I'm so jealous. I HATE grocery shopping. I have wanted delivery for years! I am sooo doing that when I am up there for auditions.

 
At April 18, 2006 10:19 AM, Blogger Robert said...

yaaaaaaaaaay come visit.

 
At April 18, 2006 11:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ug, I hate shopping in Bosnia. The people are soo rude.

Dennis

 
At April 18, 2006 11:23 AM, Blogger Robert said...

you're biased.

 
At April 18, 2006 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i actually went on peapod.com (chicago's grocer for the lazy) and i thought it was so difficult to find what i wanted that i gave up 15 min later. or maybe it's because all of my grocery shopping is impulse shopping. do i really need that 2 gallon tub of cherry garcia? yes, yes i do.

 
At April 18, 2006 6:46 PM, Blogger Ratface said...

do you wanna know where they keep maxi pads at that place? on top of the frozen meat! no wonder i couldn't find them!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home