Wednesday, April 12, 2006

our reviews

you might remember that scott and i went to go see the rotterdam philharmonic play shostakovich (again, spelling can eat it) 3 and 4 on sunday afternoon. he forwarded me the new york times review of it, which was, to say the very least, glowing. you can read it here. it's very smarty smarty.

in response to scott's email, i mailed him my own review of the concert:

shostakovich--or was it tchaikovsky? i never can tell those two apart!--wrote two symphonies in his lifetime, both of which i had the distinct pleasure of reading through on sunday afternoon. i know exactly what the "leo" length piano stick is now, for instance. the orchestra played amazingly, except for those few times when the french horns sucked the big one. oh, and the way the director made his hand flail around like he was palsied? that was pretty distracting. otherwise, this is one tchaikovksy wind duet not to be missed!

robert is a regular contributor for the new york times.

and then he sent me his:

There was a "classical music" (as opposed to "realworld") hot guy sitting two seats in front of me whoseneck I kept staring at because it seemed bizarrelythin. I was holding down "church giggles" for thefirst 10 minutes because I was thinking of fat BritneySpears being lifted onto the stage to the stringsheavily playing the Toxic riff. I listened to somecrazy bombastic music that seemed pretty damn cool,except for periods during the 4th symphony when Iwould zone out thinking about how much I despisedvodka red bulls. I also seriously considered theprospect that Avery Fisher Hall was as hot as thesurface of the sun. It was pretty outside that day.I like kittens and rainbows.

2 Comments:

At April 12, 2006 6:12 PM, Blogger Ratface said...

he only wrote two symphonies and they were numbers 3 and 4? i'm confused

 
At April 12, 2006 7:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A little snippet of an email from robert's old worksite:

"I am just getting back to planning this I was pretty much out for March.

We all agreed to do something for ***** on 5-11 .

He I had to ask him 2x before he finally said that he's is cool with that .
Please tell me you that you guys are still good with that date and time .

We need to decide who going to do what and who all should come ?

He has work with so many so I will need guidiance....

Me and Kim booked the Room. "

- anon

 

Post a Comment

<< Home