Tuesday, May 16, 2006

too much thinkin

it's another rainy day here in the city that never sleeps. no, seriously. it never sleeps. at least the greek nightclub directly below my window, platos (pronounced either play-toh's or plah-to's, a topic of much discussion around our apartment) never sleeps. what do i care, though? i took half a tylenol pm with a white wine chaser last night.

since it's a rainy day--and since i no longer really have to dress up for work (by "really dress up" i mean i wear a t-shirt and jeans and my skull-and-cross-bone sneakers to work every day) it would look ridiculous for me to carry my coach purse to work with me. like, "why is the guy in the jeans and t-shirt and skull-and-cross-bones sneakers carrying that really fancy bag? he must be a homo. let's jump him!"--i carried my trusty backpack to work with me. in baltimore, carrying a backpack was no big deal. there were so few people around (it is, after all, a shell/ghost town of a place, but i love it still) that i never had to worry about someone stealthily reaching into my bag and stealing my wallet or my cellphone or my identity. now, though, carrying a backpack on the subway makes me feel like i'm guarding a bag full of plutonium. i clutch it to my chest protectively, wary of all those gypsy children who will try to steal my things. (will they try to throw their baby at me like dr. irwin, my college choir director, insisted they would?)

when i'm not on a crowded subway, though, i carry my backpack like i'm supposed to: you know, like, on my back. and i either have it on one or both shoulders, whichever's most comfortable. as i was walking to work this morning, though, and switched my backpack from one-shoulder to both, i remembered how much i used to think about how i carried my bag in junior high.

in junior high and high school, how you carried your backpack seemed to be an indicator of who you were. it sounds totally stupid but bear with me.

in early junior high, all of the "cool" kids wore their backpack on one shoulder. that was just how you did it, unless you wanted to look like a total fool. never mind the amount of back pain and physical therapy that, ten years later, carrying 40-pound weights by one shoulder has caused. at the time, you had to carry your backpack on one shoulder. then, sometime around 9th or 10th grade (1995-ish, smack-dab in the middle of alternative rock's grip on america), the "alternative kids," amongst whom i was desperate to count myself, started wearing their backpack on both shoulders. to this day, i have a very clear picture in my mind of the generic "alternative" kid that i was emulating: baggy, ripped pants, ringer t-shirt, skater-style pumas, backpack on both shoulders.

so i started wearing my backpack like that. and then i discovered that it was actually, um, way more comfortable and didn't hurt my back. and, well, i never really stopped being an "alternative kid," though now it's more like "alternative lifestyle."

there, dear readers, is the thrilling story of my backpack. i have no life.

8 Comments:

At May 16, 2006 10:04 AM, Blogger Jessica said...

someone threw their baby at me once.

 
At May 16, 2006 12:25 PM, Blogger Florida Opera/Waitress said...

I totally lived with backback aignst during those years as well. I found that no matter what I did, the violin I had to carry made me look like a dork...the backpack seemed to have no effect.

 
At May 16, 2006 1:34 PM, Blogger chiquita yellow gold said...

don't forget about coachie. bags have feelings, too.

 
At May 16, 2006 4:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This blog needs more kangaroo gangbangs! Is it bestiality if they're only watching?

 
At May 16, 2006 5:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the same schoolbag phenomenon happen at my school as well. One shoulder was in one year, then the next it was out. But I agree with SurvivorBaltimore, the damn violin in a dumb oblong case gave me away. I tried to wear it with the long strap wrapped diagonally against my back (and I still do it to this day!), but I don't think that changes anything.....sigh.....

 
At May 17, 2006 4:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is a smidge ironic.
It was literally 9th grade when the whole pass off from "one shoulder to two shoulders" happened. By sophmore year we were making fun of the poeple still using the one shoulder backback method...
What's wretched now is that by mistake, I have one of those uni-strap backbacks now.
Even if I wanted to be cool, my options are limited...
and my back hurts.
Being cool takes work.
I am that girl.
-Linds <3

 
At May 25, 2006 5:34 AM, Blogger Ratface said...

we just got at urban those tshirt srunchies. they're like a non smoking sign symbol and you tuck the corner of a tshirt into it. awesome....not

 
At July 01, 2006 11:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Robert, try carrying a bag on the mexico city subway! That is intense!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home